Howard County Chamber Events
With over 60 events a year, it can be confusing to decide which events to attend, based on where you’ll get the most benefit.
Here is a guide to give you a better idea of what our events are to help you decide which events to be put on your schedule.
Flagship Events (attendance is 300 to 450)
- Signature Event – The Chamber’s annual Signature Event has become a can’t–miss evening in Howard County. The Awards for Chamber Excellence (ACE) are presented to deserving members who have demonstrated a continued commitment to the Chamber’s mission, from Large and Small Business of the Year to Entrepreneur of the Year, Community Impact Award, and more. In addition to enjoying a fabulous dinner, cocktails, and socializing with friends, guests are entertained by acclaimed headline speakers, performers, or live music.
- Howard County Business Outlook Luncheon (formerly the State of Business Address) – For more than ten years, the Howard County Chamber has partnered with the Howard County Executive on the annual State of the County Address. This open forum provides close to 500 attendees the opportunity to hear direct updates on the County’s fiscal and development status. The Howard County Executive provides guests with an overview of the previous year’s accomplishments and sheds light on goals and priorities for the year-to-come.
Core Events (attendance is 100 to 250)
- Let’s Talk Business (formerly Executive Speaker Series Lunch) – Member lunches are interspersed throughout the year to provide members with information on topics such as economic development, transportation, housing, education, workforce development, just to name a few. This series includes our Annual Chamber Meeting where the Chamber recognizes outstanding volunteers and inducts a new Board Chair.
- Legislative Policy Series – This series allows members of the business community an opportunity to interact directly with Howard County delegation members on the prospective policy and related outcomes from the most recent legislative session. Chamber members are provided an opportunity for public discourse with elected officials, and a forum to present the concerns of the business community to our legislators.
- Economic Forecast Breakfast – Taking place in the fall, the Economic Forecast Breakfast invites area economists to share their opinions on current economic conditions and pressing business issues as we look ahead to the coming year in business.
- Winter Soiree – Celebrate the season with your Chamber colleagues at this annual holiday party featuring great food, beverages, live entertainment, and networking fun.
Networking & Information Events (attendance is 50 to 150)
- Business After Business, Coffee/Lunch Tailgates – These bimonthly events are the Chamber’s networking cornerstone, drawing up to 100 guests to enjoy food, drinks, and networking in a relaxed atmosphere — sometimes at the start of the day and other times at the end.
- Coffee with Leonardo – This quarterly program allows members the opportunity to talk about their Chamber membership experience directly with the Chamber President/CEO and the Director of Membership.
- GovConnects Coffee & Capture Strategies Series – Each GovConnects quarterly breakfast features a different speaker, typically from a government agency, who talks about their agency and how to do business with them. There is also always time for networking and to meet the presenter in person after the session.
- GovConnects Plugged In Mixers – This quarterly event is an after-hours networking event designed for government contractors and those that serve them.
- Member Orientations – No-cost, bimonthly orientations provide a great opportunity for new or prospective members to get to know the benefits of Chamber membership from Chamber staff, board members, and ambassadors.
- YPN Turn Up Tuesdays – These quarterly mixers are a great opportunity to mix and mingle with fellow young professionals in a more casual atmosphere. Although put on by the Young Professionals Network, these mixers are for everyone – both those young in age and young at heart.
Training & Development (attendance varies)
- Women’s Leadership Conference – This one-day forum for Women examines all aspects of how to help women be most successful in their professional lives. The event includes networking opportunities, breakout sessions, panel discussion, and keynote speakers.
- Cyber Conference – This annual conference provides businesses with the latest information about cyber security challenges and solutions from high-ranking industry and government officials. It is also a valuable networking opportunity where business leaders connect informally.
- GovConnects L.E.A.P. – A six-week cohort program occurring quarterly where government contractors to get in- depth instruction and technical training in many areas of business development.
- Small Business Summit – A multi-faceted, half-day program focusing on issues relevant to small businesses.
- YPN Leadership & Development Series – This educational series from the Young Professionals Network offers different topics in a formal program over six sessions taking place twice a year. All designed to help young professionals advance their careers and skills.
- YPN Summit – A half–day event is geared for those in the early stages of their career. Topics are designed for personal and professional growth; event includes networking, seminars, and a keynote speaker.