Howard County Chamber Events
With over 60 events a year, it can be confusing to decide which events to attend where you’ll get the most benefit.
Here is a guide to give you a better idea of what our events are to help you decide which events need to be put on your schedule.
Flagship Events (attendance is 450 to 520)
- State of the County – For more than ten years, the Howard County Chamber has partnered with the Howard County Executive on the annual State of the County Address. This open forum provides close to 500 attendees the opportunity to hear direct updates on the County’s fiscal and development status. The Howard County Executive provides guests with an overview of the previous year’s accomplishments and sheds light on the year-to-come goals and priorities.
- Signature Event – The Chamber’s Signature Event, which includes the presentation of the annual Awards for Chamber Excellence (ACE), has become a can’t miss evening in Howard County. In addition to enjoying a fabulous dinner, cocktails and socializing with friends, guests are entertained by nationally recognized headline speakers and performers or live music. In the past, the Chamber has welcomed political pundits Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson, broadcaster Sam Donaldson, humorist Dave Barry, Illusionist Jason Bishop and most recently Doctor’s Orders Band.
Core Events (attendance is 150 to 300)
- Speaker Series Lunches – Formerly known as member lunches, the Speaker Series events are interspersed throughout the year to provide members with information about important issues and gain insight from highly regarded speakers. This series includes our Annual Chamber Meeting where we recognize outstanding volunteers and induct a new Board Chair.
- Economic Forecast Breakfast – The Economic Forecast Breakfast in November invites area economists to share their overview of economic conditions and pressing business issues as well as look ahead to the coming year in business.
- Legislative Policy Series – This series allows members of the business community an opportunity to interact directly with Howard County delegation members on the prospective policy and related outcomes from the most recent legislative session. Chamber members are provided an opportunity for public discourse with elected officials, and a forum to present the concerns of the business community to our legislators.
- Cyber Conference – This annual conference provides businesses with the latest information about cyber security challenges and solutions from high-ranking industry and government officials. It is also a valuable networking opportunity where business leaders connect informally.
- Women’s Leadership Conference – This one-day forum for Women examines all aspects of how to help women be most successful. The event includes power networking opportunities, including a lunch and keynote speaker.
- Jingle Mingle Holiday Party – Celebrate the season with your Chamber colleagues at this annual holiday party featuring great food, beverages, live entertainment and networking fun.
- YPN Summit – New for 2020, this half day event is geared for those in the early stages of their career. Topics are designed for personal and professional growth; event includes networking and seminars
Other Events (attendance is 25 to 150)
- Member Orientations – A great opportunity for new or prospective members to get to know the benefits of Chamber membership from Chamber staff, board members and ambassadors.
- Coffee with the President – This program allows members the opportunity to talk about their Chamber membership directly with Chamber President/CEO Leonardo McClarty and Director of Membership, Ronny Nadiv.
- Ask The Experts – Formerly known as the Small Business Roundtable – This is a very small event for small business owners featuring topics specifically geared to help with the challenges of being a small business owner
- Business After Business – These events are the Chamber’s networking cornerstone, drawing up to 100 guests to enjoy food, drinks and networking in a relaxed atmosphere.
- YPN Mixers – These very well attended mixers for the young and young at heart are a great opportunity to mix and mingle with young professionals in a more casual atmosphere.
- YPN ‘Celerate’ Series – The educational series from the Young Professionals Network offers different topics quarterly such as professional development to branding yourself. All designed to help young professionals advance their careers and skills.
- GovConnects BizBreakfasts – Each GovConnects BizBreakfast features a different speaker, typically from a government agency, who talks about their agency and how to do business with them. There is also always time for networking and to meet the presenter in person after the session.
- GovConnects “Scale Up” Events – This is an opportunity for government contractors to get in- depth instruction in many areas of business development and technical training.
- GovConnects “Plugged In” Mixers – New for 2020, this quarterly event is designed for government contractors and those that serve them to enjoy food, drinks and networking in a relaxed atmosphere